Class: Intro to Programming
Task: Build a static website
Amount of Training: 4 weeks
Languages Used: HTML, CSS
Working in teams of four, our Intro to Programming students used their newly-minted HTML and CSS chops to create a great-looking static website. Each team needed to use Git to track their website’s progress, and each project needed to include the following elements:
- A main page and 2-3 subpages that are linked to the main page
- All of the HTML tags the students had learned so far (p, h, ul, ol, li, em, strong, a, img, div, span)
- A custom made stylesheet that used selectors, properties, and values
- Divs and spans to keep the page organized
- At least one float
- Use of the box model to create custom border, padding, and margins around an HTML block element
- Nesting in the stylesheet to add different styles to each child element
The group whose project is featured here, decided to build a website for a restaurant. Using a combination of Bootstrap and their own custom stylesheet, the group built a sleek website with a rotating gallery of images on the home page and subpages for the restaurant’s menu and contact information.
You can check out the full project on GitHub Pages.